Region 2

Stop the Laiban Dam Construction Before Another Tragedy Happens

Source: 
Cordillera Peoples Alliance Release
Date of publication: 
29 January, 2010

Reviving the ill-fated Laiban Dam in Rizal and Quezon Provinces in the Southern Tagalog Region is a tragedy waiting to happen and an outright violation to the collective rights of the Dumagat indigenous peoples.

Let us not forget the dreadful flooding due to the San Roque Dam (SRD) last year that submerged 10 towns in Pangasinan, and parts of Nueva Vizcaya and Tarlac, resulting to at least 700 deaths.

DENR urged to spare ancestral lands from mining

Source: 
Alcuin Papa, Philippine Daily Inquirer - http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/regions/view/20100108-246251/DENR-urged-to-spare-ancestral-lands-from-mining
Date of publication: 
8 January, 2010

MANILA, Philippines—-An indigenous group threw the first challenge to new chief of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Eleazar Quinto, and asked him to stop mining operations in their lands.

In a statement Friday, the Didipio Earth Savers Multipurpose Association (DESAMA) and the Luzon chapter of the Legal Rights and Natural Resources Center said six months were enough time for Quinto “to do the right thing” by canceling mining permits in their area in Didipio, Nueva Vizcaya.

Group re--checks processes done in Bakun mine permit

Source: 
Harley Palangchao, http://baguiomidlandcourier.com.ph/environment.asp?mode=%20archives/2009/december/12-27-2009/env1.txt
Date of publication: 
27 December, 2009

BENGUET — A group opposed to the mining exploration permit of Royalco which covers 5,241 hectares in Barangay Gambang, Bakun town started to gather more documents that could possibly help advance their cause.

The Gambang Indigenous Peoples and Community Organization (GIPACO) formally requested the Courier to possibly issue if a certification that the Royalco’s Exploration Project Application or EXPA 0001 marked as Exploration Permit No. 005A-2008-CAR was published by the paper.

Courier staff checked the files but initial findings showed negative result.

CHR Chairperson Leila de Lima visits Didipio, Confirms OceanaGold's human rights violations

Source: 
LRC-KsK Press Release
Date of publication: 
6 November, 2009

The recent visit of Commission on Human Rights Chairperson Leila de Lima in Didipio last 05 November is commendable and shows seriousness and sincerity on the part of the commission to undertake a top level investigation with regards to complaints of human rights violations committed by OceanaGold Philippines Inc (OceanaGold) against the indigenous peoples’ residents of Barangay Didipio, Kasibu, Nueva Vizcaya.

Australian mining firm 'harassing' residents

Source: 
Jeff Waters for PM - abc.net.au/pm - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/21/2720696.htm?section=justin
Date of publication: 
21 October, 2009

The head of the Philippines Commission on Human Rights says she will investigate the activities of an Australian-based mining company in the north of her country.

Human Rights workers are accusing the OceanaGold company of intimidating and harassing residents around their proposed mine site.

The company is also accused of forcibly demolishing local homes.

Groups Condemn Illegal Demolition and Violent Dispersal of Mining Affected Communities

Source: 
ATM Press Release
Date of publication: 
13 October, 2009

KASIBU, Nueva Vizcaya (NV)— Alyansa Tigil Mina (ATM), an advocacy group and a people’s movement composed of more than eighty (80) organizations from mining-affected communities and civil society organizations nationwide, condemns the illegal demolition and violent dispersal of the residents from communities, which hosts an Australian mining company owned by OceanaGold Corp. Inc. (OGPI). The incident happened last October 2 in Barangay Didipio, where OGPI’s Financial or Technical Assistance Agreement (FTAA) covers 23 barangays in the Municipality of Kasibu.

Protests vs Royalco continue

Source: 
Ma. Elena Catajan - http://www.sunstar.com.ph/baguio/protests-vs-royalco-continue
Date of publication: 
21 September, 2009

LA TRINIDAD, BENGUET — Bakun folks are ready to take it to the streets.

Exasperated by the long and futile legal war against the Royalco mining firm, Benguet Mining Alert Action Network (BMAAN) spokesperson Vergel Aniceco said: “The legal process is nonsense, we will face Royalco.”

Aniceco explained community folk in Bakun town have been dismayed about the decision of the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) to grant Australian mining firm Royalco Philippines Inc.

Security guard killed at Didipio

Source: 
21 September 2009

AN OceanaGold Corporation security contractor has been shot dead at the Didipio gold-copper project in northern Luzon in the Philippines.

The Didipio project was acquired through the Climax Mining merger in 2006.

The guard, a Filipino national, was conducting a routine patrol yesterday morning when he was fatally wounded.

The company is working with local police to gather and confirm the facts surrounding the incident.

OceanaGold interim chief executive officer Marcus Engelbrecht said the company offered its condolences to the man’s family and friends.

NCIP ruling on validity of mining operations hit

Source: 
DEXTER A. SEE, Manila Bulletin - http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/219853/ncip-ruling-validity-mining-operations-hit
Date of publication: 
9 September, 2009

BAKUN, Benguet —- Hundreds of concerned villagers here have assailed a recent ruling of the central office of the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) which declared that Royalco Philippines did not violate the rule on the conduct of consultations with the affected indigenous peoples for it conducted mining explorations in Barangay Gambang here.
The group, which called itself the Bakun Aywanan, said the residents of sitios in Gambang where the company will conduct the third phase of its mining exploration had earlier rejected the issuance of a free and prior informed consent for

Treaty urges govt to protect indigenous peoples

Source: 
Manila Times, By Ira Karen Apanay, http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2009/aug/22/yehey/prov/20090822pro1.html
Date of publication: 
22 August, 2009

A United Nations human rights treaty has urged the Philippines to protect indigenous peoples (IPs) from armed conflict, extrajudicial killings and discrimination, as the body examined the Philippines ‘ compliance with the international Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD).

Human Rights Commissioner Cecilia Quisumbing said the current fighting in Mindanao and its effect on indigenous peoples and evacuees has attracted the concern of UN experts on racial discrimination.

“This brings another human rights dimension to the renewed combat in the South.